Dieticians reveal whether popular foods and supplements can help treat and prevent the flu.
A report by the Daily Mail gives insight into certain items that have been thought to help soothe us when we contract a viral infection.
Here is what they are.
1. Echinacea: A 2014 study found this flower supplement does not have a big impact on reducing the time people have to suffer from a cold.
2. Honey: While it is thought to be soothing and help treat a cough, there is no evidence to suggest that it does.
3. Zinc lozenges: It has been found to reduce nasal congestion, sore throat and a cough. However, experts warn it does contain a lot of sugar. Dietician Lauren McGuckin suggests consuming lamb or pumpkin seeds instead.
4. Chicken soup: The meal is healthy and found to help restore energy levels.
5. Garlic: It contains a chemical called allicin that helps boost the immune system. Get the most out of it by crushing or slicing it. A 2015 study found it helps prevent sniffles and treat the flu.
6. Vitamin C: It has been found to be crucial to help keep the immune system functioning at its best and only helps reduce the length of a flu, not prevent it.
Experts say a good chance of tackling an infection is having a well-balanced diet to make people's bodies strong....