Greek man left confused and unable to speak after being bitten by his cat

DECCAN CHRONICLE
Published Mar 7, 2018, 7:21 pm IST
Updated Mar 7, 2018, 7:21 pm IST
The cat scratch disease is caused by bacteria called bartonella hensalae which is found in a cat’s mouth and claws.
Cat bites can be damaging through infections and may lead to permanent disabilities (Photo: AFP)
 Cat bites can be damaging through infections and may lead to permanent disabilities (Photo: AFP)

Cats are adorable as pets and are mostly seen as creatures which are not very likely to cause harm. But the lack of precautions including measures to ensure hygiene can leave people vulnerable to unanticipated damage.

When a 53-year-old Greek man was rushed to the hospital struggling to speak and confused, doctors felt he was showing signs of brain injury and had a stroke. But it was only after tests that they discovered that the reason for his neurological complications was being bitten by his cat.

 

The cat scratch disease is caused by bacteria called bartonella hensalae which is found in a cat’s mouth and claws. While the disease causes fever, fatigue and swollen lymph nodes, it can also lead to fatal brain swelling and heart infections in extreme cases.

He was struggling to speak, read and write when he was brought to the hospital days after he was given antibiotics. Experts have warned that cat bites can be damaging through infections and may lead to permanent disabilities.

...




ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT