Goji berries could hold the cure for two deadly tropical diseases - schistosomiasis and fascioliasis.
Facts about the two diseases:
* It is an infection caused by parasitic worms that live in fresh water.
* Found in tropical regions like South America, Asia and the Caribbean.
* The disease affects 600 million people worldwide.
* It is an infection caused by flatworms affecting livestock and humans.
* It is found in tropical areas and developing countries.
* Close to 17 million people globally suffer from the disease.
A new study found the berry contains a compound called 7-keto-sempervirol, which can attack parasites responsible for the infections, according to the Daily Mail. Researchers say the compound can kill the larval and adult stages of the flatworm parasites that cause both diseases.
"Discovering a potential new treatment for two such prevalent diseases is an exciting find and we hope that this research will lead to major health benefits for some of the world's poorest people who are at risk of contracting schistosomiasis and fascioliasis," lead author Professor Andrew Westwell, from Cardiff University, is quoted as saying by the Daily Mail.
The findings were originally published in the European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry....