Research has suggested that drying your washing indoors on radiators or on a clothes horse could pose a “serious health risk” for people with asthma or weakened immune systems.
The study, which was carried out in 2014 at the National Aspergillosis Centre in Manchester, was recently recirculated in Her.ie. “One load of wet washing contains almost two litres of water, which is released into the room,” professor David Denning said.
“Most of us are either immune to the fungus which grows in these humid conditions, or have a sufficiently health system to fight the infection. But in asthma sufferers, it can produce coughing and wheeziness.
“In people with weak or damaged immune systems such as cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy, Aids patients and people who have an autoimmune disease, the fungus can cause pulmonary aspergillosis — a condition which can cause irreparable and sometimes fatal damage to the lungs and sinuses.”
Professor Denning’s advice is to dry wet washing outside, in a tumble dryer, or in a well-ventilated indoor space away from bedrooms and living area — “to be safe rather than sorry”.