We all know fiber is an important piece of a healthy diet. Not only is fiber a regulator, but it is also involved in the delivery of essential nutrients to the entire body. A large portion of our population is under consuming fiber rich foods, which has caused a surplus of fiber rich powders and formulas to surface the market. Many of these fiber formulas contain additives that have a negative impact on the body for numerous reasons, but namely because they are not a natural source of fiber!
Instead of opting for an overly processed formula, I encourage my clients to seek out natural formulas that are readily available in foods. This means increasing whole food sources of fiber from things like chia seeds, berries, avocados and my favorite, Psyllium!
Up until recently, I would instruct many of my clients to add Whole Husk Psyllium to their water, a couple times per day. Not the most delicious way to consume fiber, but totally therapeutic for those who need it. That said, I wanted to create a recipe that not only offered the benefits of the fiber filled husk, but also tasted delicious, making it easy to incorporate on a regular basis.
Spiced Psyllium Husk Porridge is a high fiber, high nutrient breakfast with Organic India Whole Husk Psyllium. This recipe is an excellent gluten and grain free alternative to your typical morning cereals or breakfast bars. It offers gentle detox from turmeric, Psyllium and ghee, in addition to sugar-metabolism-supporting cinnamon, digestive-supporting cardamom, and nourishing goats milk or coconut milk, depending on your preference!
Ingredients (serves 1):
- 1 heaping tbsp ORGANIC INDIA Whole Husk Psyllium or 1 packet Psyllium Lift
- 2 tbsp Coconut flour
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder or 1 packet Turmeric Lift
- 1 tsp Cinnamon or 2 capsules ORGANIC INDIA Cinnamon (contents only)
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom
- Pinch of pink Himalayan salt
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2-3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup goats milk (option to sub coconut milk, soy, or almond milk)
- 1 heaping tbsp ghee (option to sub coconut oil or non-dairy butter)
- Pure liquid stevia or raw honey to taste
- Suggested toppings: bananas or seasonal fruits and berries, walnuts, coconut flakes, cacao nibs
- Combine psyllium, coconut flour, turmeric, cinnamon, cardamom, salt, vanilla, milk and water in a pot, and bring to a boil.
- Turn heat down to medium and using a whisk, stir porridge until it begins to thicken, and the liquid has cooked off
- Transfer to a bowl and stir in 1 heaping tbsp. of ghee
- Garnish with your favorite toppings! My favorite combo at the moment is coconut flakes, blueberries and turmeric.
The article has been authored by Organic India....