Eating healthy is the newest trend that has gripped foodies across and nation and addressing this need, Richa Talwar, Founder, ‘Sustenance’ has created a few healthy and guilt free granola recipes to make your menu worthy of the big day.
Christmas to Talwar reminds her of her boarding school where they would have a big feast with their teachers before going home to spend the holidays.
Talwar realises that eating healthy during the holidays is not easy. She says, “Honestly, eating healthy during the holidays is tough. I like to keep my portion size small so I don't feel too guilty.” And trying to address this issue she has created handcrafted granola that is gluten free, packed with nuts and seeds, 100% natural and sweetened with locally sourced organic honey.
While for Talwar, her fondest memories includes her best friend's aunt who makes a spiced ginger cake for Christmas every year which she describes as being ‘divine’, Talwar realises the need for eating healthy.
“Eating healthy makes you happier, improves productivity and boosts your immunity among a score of other reasons,” she says, adding, “I think it's all about finding that balance and practising moderation. If we eat healthy most days then we can indulge a little without feeling too deprived. So eat your fruits and vegetables so that you can have a cookie once in a while.”
Her recipes include:
Banana Chocolate Smoothie Bowl:
- 3 bananas, sliced (reserve 4-5 slices for the topping)
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 4 tbsp honey
- 1 banana
- 4 Tbsp. cocoa powder
- 1 Tbsp. cacao nibs
- 1/3 cup chopped almond
- 1/3 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup Sustenance cranberry pistachio granola
- Few banana slices
- Throw all the ingredients except the granola in the blender or food processor. Blend for two minutes
- Pour it in a bowl, add granola and sliced bananas on top. Enjoy!
Granola Yogurt Popsicles
- 3 cups strawberries, hulled and roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3/4 cups granola
- Combine the strawberries and maple syrup in a small saucepan and stir gently to combine. Let the berries macerate on the counter for at least 10 minutes, until it’s syrupy.
- Place the pan over medium-high heat and cook for approximately 8 minutes or so, stirring often, until the strawberries thicken and have a jam like consistency. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
Granola Yogurt Parfait
- Granola- 1 cup
- Yogurt- 1 cup
- Fresh fruits- sliced
- Maple syrup- 2 tbsp
- Stir in 1 tbsp maple syrup with yogurt. Take a clean jar or bowl and layer it with yogurt and sprinkled it with 1/4 cup of granola.
- Add another layer of yogurt and topped it with remaining granola. Top it with fruits and drizzle the remaining maple syrup.
- Eat it immediately or store it in the fridge for upto 3 days to sneak in a treat later.