Bangalore: For the last three years, the World Idli Day is commemorated on 30th March. It is believed to be conceptualised by Eniyavan, who hails from Chennai. Idli is a delicious steamed rice cake and a popular breakfast item in South India.
According to the recent analytics shared by Uber Eats and Swiggy on the basis of the order placed by consumers, Bangalore places the highest number of Idli order and emerges as the Idli capital of India. On the basis of the research shared by Uber Eats, Bengaluru consumes most Idlis, followed by Mumbai, Chennai, Pune and Hyderabad. Globally San Francisco, London and New Jersey are the top ordering cities.
Important findings about Idli by Swiggy:
- Idli all day: While idli was most ordered for breakfast, across India, the second highest order of Idli was placed for dinner. Many turned to the app post 11 pm to place order for Idli. It was also ordered for lunch and evening snacks.
- Planning for Idli: Pan-India, Idli was amongst the top 5 most pre-ordered dishes (via Swiggy scheduled)
Important findings about Idli Uber Eats:
- Idli for the health conscious: Idli is popular as a dish that is consumed by the health conscious people. However, the consumption of vegetable idli is on the rise, as people are opting for a healthier, fibre-enriched alternative. This makes the breakfast staple as the Health Conscious Idli of India.
- Biggest Idli lover: On February 23, 2019, a consumer in Mumbai ordered a whopping 110 plates of Idlis.
- India’s love for extra: As per their order analysis, it has been revealed that Indians love extras and place request for extra chutney, sambhar and spicy ‘podi’ to go with a plate of steamy hot idlis.
Commenting on the growing consumption trend, Deepak Reddy, Head of Central Operations – Uber Eats India shared, “We are increasingly seeing a trend of consumers opting to order in not just lunch and dinner, but also breakfast. It is therefore no surprise that Idli has been a top breakfast item that consumers love. It appeals to people of varied food preferences and is a popular comfort food for many. There are a number of restaurants that specialise in Idli and are known for unique variations of Idli, available for consumers on the Uber Eats platform across the 38 cities we are present in. On the occasion of World Idli Day, we will also be running special Idli offers and combos across idli loving cities.”