Couple suffocate to death in Chennai

Children escape from apartment in Nanganallur.

Chennai: A couple died of suffocation after smoke, triggered by a suspected electricity leak, filled their house at Ram Nagar in Nanganallur on Friday night.

The deceased were identified as J. Venkataramani, 44, and his wife Sowmya,40. Venkataramani worked in a private company on Anna Salai while Sowmya was a home-maker.

The deceased were sleeping in the hall of the apartment, where the fire began.

The couple’s children Vijayalakshmi, 16, and Chandrasekharan,14, along with the servant maid Chandra, 55, were saved by the fire and rescue team.

According to police, the children who were sleeping in the bed-room, came out to the balcony well past midnight shouting for help.

As the balcony was closed with grill gate, the neighbours could not take them out. Other residents immediately called the fire and police for help.

The rescue team entered through the front door of first floor apartment after breaking it open.

The rescue team found Venkataramani dead and took out Sowmya and Chandra, who were unconscious.

Sowmya died in Chromepet GH while Chandra is undergoing treatment. The firemen also safely took out the children. The fire damaged all furniture and TV in the hall.

( Source : deccan chronicle )
Next Story