On Saturday, the violently active Karni Sena decided, in all its wisdom, to withdraw its year-long protest against Padmaavat.
Coming around completely on the hitherto escalated matter, the fringe organistion is now of the view that Sanjay Leela Bhansali’s opus glorifies the Rajput community. Moreover, in what comes as a big surprise, especially after several Rajput outfits ran amok in several Indian cities, vandalising public property and attacking people, the Sena wants to help the film get a release in Gujarat, Rajasthan and Madhya Pradesh.
Understandably, Bhansali was circumspect on the issue. “I never understood what the protest was all about. I still don’t understand. I am just happy that the film has been released and appreciated widely. Of course, we’d like our film to release in the states where it has not been released so far. Isn’t that the least we can expect after all we’ve gone through?” he questioned.
While Bhansali will say no more, a team member close to the film wonders why the Karni Sena suddenly decided to calm down. “It’s all bizarre! The flare-up, the film industry’s silence, the way Padmaavat was hounded, this sudden calming down of nerves after the film has been released and the bogus pro-Rajput protests being discredited completely,” stated the source.
According to reports, Rajput Karni Sena’s Mumbai leader, Yongendra Singh Katar admitted that after a few of the fringe group’s members watched the movie, they found nothing objectionable in the content. In fact, the members of the group stated that the movie speaks positively about the Rajputs and glorifies their valour and sacrifice. He added that every Rajput “would feel proud” after watching it.
“We were all surprised by the turn of events,” Shahid Kapoor had said, clearly frustrated by the delay in the movie’s release. “Things aren’t extremely bad, but it’s very strange that people are choosing to decide what’s in the film, without watching it; it’s very weird. I have been saying all along that you need to watch the film before forming an opinion. Why do you have so many pre-conceived notions about the film without knowing the facts of its content?”
Threats given by Karni Sena
1. The Karni Sena threatened to cut Deepika Padukone’s nose off.
2. They announced a reward of Rs 10 crore for beheading the actress and Sanjay Leela Bhansali
3. Film sets were vandalised, the director’s clothes were torn. A Rajput leader said that they had slapped the director and would beat him up with shoes.
4. Attacked the palace of Rani Padmini in Chittorgarh and smashed the mirrors in which Alauddin Khilji is said to have seen Padmini for the first time.
5. Called Deepika naachnewali (courtesan) and asked her why she was dancing in small clothing.