Bengaluru: Terror suspect stabs Telangana ATS staff, nabbed

Telangana squad did not inform city police; accused Rafeeq was staying in Bengaluru for last three years

BENGALURU: While the NIA has arrested 13 terror suspects from across the country, including four from the city, the sleuths of the Telangana Anti-Terrorist Squad busted one more terror module in the city by arresting a terror suspect wanted in an old case, on Saturday evening.

High drama prevailed at the house of the terror suspect in Vinayaka Nagar 4th Main in Naganathapura in Parappana Agrahara police limits, when the ATS staff went to nab him.

The suspect stabbed a constable, identified as Srinivas, in the hand and tried to escape, but was overpowered by the police team. The terror suspect, Javed Rafeeq, aged around 30 years, is reportedly from Agra in Uttar Pradesh.

The Telangana ATS team surrounded Rafeeq’s house around 5 pm on Saturday. When they went in, Rafeeq allegedly stabbed Srinivas in the hand and tried to escape. But the police team pinned him down to the ground.

He was taken into custody, while the injured constable was rushed to a nearby private hospital where he is being treated.

Read: Terror suspect Suhail attended Qasmi’s sermons, says his brother

The local police said that the ATS staff had not informed them about the operation and they came to know about it only after the incident.

“The ATS team has not revealed to us in which case Rafeeq was wanted. They have also not registered any complaint so far in connection with the stabbing incident,” an official said.

Police sources said that Rafeeq was wanted in an old terror case reported in Hyderabad and Ahmedabad.

Rafeeq worked as ‘AC mechanic’
The suspect, Javed Rafeeq, was reportedly living in a rented house for the last three years. He was on the second floor of the four-storey building. The house owner, K.T. Ashraf, said that Rafeeq had told him that he was from Delhi.

“He told me that he worked as an AC mechanic. He usually left the house around 8 am and came home very late. He was paying '3,200 as rent. There was nothing suspicious about his activities.”

Rafeeq got married to Yasmeen Banu, a resident of Saraipalya, about six months ago. “Only the couple was living in the house, which has a hall and a kitchen,” Ashraf said.

Priya, a neighbour, said that Rafeeq constantly watched news on his mobile phone. “He had told me that he hailed from Agra. He was living with his friend before the wedding. After the marriage, his friend moved out. He had claimed that he was an orphan,” she said.

( Source : deccan chronicle )
Next Story