Telangana: Auto Unions Call Off Indefinite Strike
The announcement came after talks between the transport department and the unions, which had earlier remained firm on going ahead with the strike: Reports
HYDERABAD: Autorickshaw and transport unions called off their proposed indefinite strike late on Sunday, hours before it was to begin, following an assurance from transport minister Ponnam Prabhakar that talks would be held to address their demands next months. The decision brought relief to parents of school students dependent on autorickshaws and private transport.
The announcement came after talks between the transport department and the unions, which had earlier remained firm on going ahead with the strike. Minister Prabhakar, who was in Huzurabad, joined the meeting online. After the meeting, a transport department official said the government had responded positively to the demands of autorickshaw unions.
A meeting involving the labour and transport departments and representatives of autorickshaw unions will be held on September 1 to finalise the modalities.
During the talks, the government stated that there was no plan for the RTC to purchase electric autorickshaws. An assurance was also given on an autorickshaw fare hike. It was also decided to initiate the process for launching a government-run app similar to Ola and Uber, with the IT Department taking up the necessary work. A decision will also be taken on restricting passenger transportation to vehicles with yellow plates, or commercial registration, including two-wheelers operating through services such as Rapido, Ola and Uber.
On the promise made during the last elections to provide ₹12,000 to autorickshaw workers, the government said a decision would be taken after consultations with the Chief Minister, Deputy Chief Minister and Cabinet colleagues, while taking into account the state's financial situation.