Sextortion Gang Busted: Woman Aide Held, POCSO Case Filed

The accused, Saraswati Nishant, a domestic help and associate of Arjun’s gang, had been absconding.

Update: 2026-05-20 20:16 GMT

Police have arrested another woman linked to a notorious gang involved in trapping wealthy women and minor girls, recording their private moments using spy cameras and extorting money. A case under the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act has been registered against her.

The accused, Saraswati Nishant, a domestic help and associate of Arjun’s gang, had been absconding. She reportedly worked at a minor’s house on the instructions of Arjun alias Chandrashekar Azad (26). She allegedly blackmailed the victim, claiming links with Arjun and threatening to inform her parents, and extorted ₹9 lakh, sources in the Jubilee Hills zone said.

During the investigation, special teams monitored by V. C. Sajjanar found that the accused Arjun, his brother Ritesh, their mother Meena Kumari and maternal uncles, all from Andhra Pradesh, had been targeting wealthy women, particularly minors. Meena Kumari allegedly used her elder son Arjun and younger son Ritesh as instruments in the crimes. The gang had been employing a similar modus operandi for several months and had trapped multiple victims by posing as affluent individuals, a police officer said.

Meena Kumari, along with her paramour and associates, is believed to have hatched the plan in their native Guntur district before settling in the city and forming a local gang. Police said it was a well-organised operation that had affected several victims. Many of those extorted are reluctant to come forward as they belong to affluent families. Statements of some victims have been recorded, and additional charges may be added during the investigation. Officials said they have been instructed not to disclose details that could hamper the probe or reveal victims’ identities, given the sensitivity of the case.

Police said the gang had exploited victims’ hesitation to report the crimes but assured that a thorough investigation would be conducted. Strong evidence is being collected, and strict action will be taken against those involved, an officer said.

Investigators have retrieved deleted data from the accused persons’ Snapchat, Instagram and other social media accounts. A team of women police personnel has been formed to interact with victims and provide counselling during the course of the investigation.

During the probe, it was found that after one associate was recently released on bail, the gang used a local woman, Swathi (26), to lure another victim into a sextortion trap.

Saraswati’s statement has been recorded, and she has been remanded in judicial custody under relevant provisions, including the POCSO Act.

So far, police have arrested nine members of Arjun’s gang, including Saraswati, Arjun’s mother Meena Kumari, her associates Taraka Prashanth and Vinil Chaudhary, Arjun’s friend Jitender of Jagadgirigutta, N. Hemanth of Kesamudram and Swathi. Over a dozen others have been questioned. Ritesh, Meena Kumari’s son, has reportedly been taken into custody from Bengaluru, while Sreejith and two others remain absconding.

Special teams have been formed to make further arrests in the case, as directed by the police commissioner.

ACB unearths assets worth ₹1.94 crore from suspended SR

The Anti-Corruption Bureau (ACB) on Wednesday conducted surprise checks at multiple locations linked to suspended sub-registrar Davuluri Anand, formerly sub-registrar-II at Warangal (R.O), Hanmakonda, on charges of acquiring assets through corrupt and dubious means.

During preliminary searches at Anand’s house and other premises, officials found documents indicating that he and his family members owned two residential houses valued at ₹71,56,708 and six open plots worth ₹28,37,000.

The officials also detected and seized several movable assets including bank balances of ₹24,50,450 and ₹7,05,367, household articles valued at ₹6,07,700, one four-wheeler and two motorcycles worth ₹13,25,000, gold ornaments weighing 819.500 grams and silver ornaments weighing 2,264.500 grams, collectively valued at ₹43,16,930.

The total value of assets identified so far is estimated at ₹1,94,01,765. Further verification is under way to ascertain additional assets and determine the extent of disproportionate wealth, an ACB press release said.

HMWS&SB GM remanded; ACB finds assets worth ₹5.88 crore

Saggam Anantha Laxmi Kumar, general manager of HMWS&SB, who was held with assets worth ₹5.8 crore on Tuesday, was remanded to 14 days of judicial custody by a special court for ACB cases here on Wednesday. He was later shifted to Chanchalguda prison.

During searches at multiple locations linked to Kumar, the Anti-Corruption Bureau (ACB) seized cash of ₹1.1 crore, gold ornaments weighing 2.1 kg, silver articles weighing 9.2 kg and two vehicles, with the total value pegged at ₹5,88,55,490 as per government valuation.

The ACB also seized documents relating to 18 acres of agricultural land in Nizamabad and Sangareddy districts. In addition, six open plots, three flats and one house in Hyderabad were identified.

Officials said the market value of the assets is likely to be significantly higher. Kumar was serving as general manager, project division-VIII, at the HMWS&SB office in Red Hills.

1,340 motorists penalised for using mobile phones while driving

The Malkajgiri police commissionerate has booked 1,340 motorists for using mobile phones while driving and imposed penalties of Rs 13.39 lakh. The motorists were found either speaking on mobile phones or using handheld devices while driving.

Police said the drive was aimed at reducing accidents caused by distracted driving and urged motorists to avoid mobile phone use while behind the wheel, warning that strict enforcement would continue across the commissionerate.

Police registered 897 cases for direct contact with mobile phones, resulting in fines amounting to Rs 8.96 lakh. Another 443 cases were booked for mobile phone usage without direct contact, attracting penalties worth Rs 4.43 lakh.

Madhapur bank detects counterfeit notes deposited at CDM

Counterfeit currency notes with a face value of Rs 5,000 were allegedly deposited into a cash deposit machine (CDM) of a private bank in Madhapur. Following a complaint lodged by Namala Joel Prabhat, manager of the bank’s Madhapur main road branch, the Cyberabad economic offences wing (EOW) police registered a case on Wednesday.

In his complaint, the manager stated that during a routine verification procedure of cash from the bank’s CDM on April 24, staff members identified 10 counterfeit notes of Rs 500 denomination. The bank officials stated that they traced the deposit to a customer account identified as Vaka Venkata Rameshwaram Singh.

The complaint was later forwarded through the deputy commissioner, crimes and EOW, Cyberabad, seeking legal action. The bank also enclosed the 10 counterfeit notes and requested police to send them for forensic examination.

92 Life Convicts Eligible for Special Remission Under Supreme Court Guidelines: Prisons DG

A total of 92 life convicts, including 86 men and six women, have been found eligible for consideration for special remission as on February 1. They were identified based on Supreme Court guidelines, DG, prisons, Dr Soumya Mishra said. She submitted the list to Governor Shiv Pratap Shukla on Wednesday at Lok Bhavan, accompanied by DGP C.V. Anand, principal secretary, home, Shikha Goel and IG, prisons, N. Murali Babu. The list has been approved by Lok Bhavan and submitted to the state government, Dr Mishra said.

The regular release of prisoners on the basis of good behaviour and conduct as per eligibility will help in reducing overcrowding of prisons and uphold human values as per the spirit of the Supreme Court guidelines, Dr Mishra said. The apex court issued the directions in ‘Sonadhar v. The State of Chhattisgarh’ in its order dated February 18, 2025, with regard to grant of special remission. The court specifying timelines and asked state governments to frame a policy regarding premature release of eligible prisoners.

Under this, the state government via GO Ms No. 126, home services-V department, dated October 27, 2025, issued permanent guidelines and timelines with cut-off dates for considering grant of special remission thrice a year, on February 1, June 1 and October 1.

Previously, under GO MS No. 37, home services-V department, issued on July 2. 2024, under the Congress government, 213 convicts, 178 male and 35 female, were released on remisson, DG Mishra said. Jail superintendents had prepared the list as per the GO, which was verified by a committee of IGs and DIGs and vetted by the standing committee comprising special chief secretary, home, Shikha Goel, the law secretary and Dr Mishra. Approval approval of chief Minister A. Revanth Reddy and the Cabinet, the list was submitted to Governor Shiv Pratap Shukla for approval, Dr Mishra said.

Hotel worker killed in family clash

A 31‑year‑old hotel worker was beaten to death by his estranged wife, her brother and a friend following a family dispute in Vanasthalipuram late Tuesday. Police registered a murder case and launched an investigation.

Vanasthalipuram police identified the deceased as Guru Venkatesh, a resident of BN Reddy Nagar and native of Hajipur village, Vikarabad district. His wife Swapna had been living separately, citing his alcoholism and unemployment. The couple has three children.

Police said that around 11 pm on Tuesday, Venkatesh went to a double‑bedroom housing complex near Rythu Bazar in BN Reddy Nagar to meet his children. An argument broke out with his wife.

According to a complaint by the victim’s younger brother, Guru Tirupati, Swapna and her brother Pandu confronted Venkatesh, dragged him down from the third floor and assaulted him. Pandu then called his friend Jagadeesh, and the trio continued the attack, repeatedly punching Venkatesh.

Investigators said the accused believed Venkatesh would continue to cause problems if left alive. After the assault, they abandoned him on the ground floor and left. On Wednesday morning, local residents found him unconscious and alerted emergency services. A 108 ambulance team declared him dead at the spot.

Missing woman traced, reunited with family

Alert patrolling staff of Chaderghat police traced a 33-year-old speech and hearing-impaired woman who had been missing since March and reunited her safely with her family on Wednesday.

According to Chaderghat SHO K. B. Murari, on the intervening night of March 20 at around 12.30 am, a Blue Colts-I team comprising constables J. Vijay Kumar, C. Venkatesh and Manju Bharghavi were on a routine patrol at Chaderghat Chaman, when they noticed a woman wandering alone in a distressed condition.

On inquiry, the staff realised that the woman was specially abled. The team verified her details through the police database and missing persons records, Murari said. It was found that she had gone missing from the limits of Hayathnagar police station in March, where a ‘woman missing’ case had been registered. The Chaderghat police immediately coordinated with Hayathnagar police and informed her family members.

The woman was subsequently handed over safely to her mother at the police station. The SHO appreciated the patrolling staff for their alertness and commitment during night duty.

Jeweller robbed, family threatened by gang

A jewellery shop owner was robbed and threatened by a gang under the Panjagutta police station limits.

Police said Araviti Ramesh (43) of Chilakalguda runs a gold jewellery business, Hemora Gold OPC Private Limited. On Tuesday night, a group entered his shop and looted about ₹4 lakh.

In his complaint, Ramesh said that on April 30, a man identified as Vikas placed an order for a gold necklace. On May 15, he visited the shop, examined the 17-gram necklace and paid ₹2.80 lakh through UPI.

On the night of May 18, Vikas returned with five others, alleging that the stones in the necklace were fake and demanding a refund. The group threatened Ramesh and forced him to transfer around ₹4 lakh to various UPI accounts between 7 pm and 7.30 pm. They also took back the necklace.

The accused then forced Ramesh into his car, drove to his house and threatened his wife, Shiva Pranitha, and their son, demanding cash and gold. Out of fear, his wife handed over two gold chains and a pair of earrings.

The gang later took him to a Bank of Baroda ATM in Chilakalguda and forced him to withdraw an additional ₹1.10 lakh.

They left him in his car around 10 pm and later continued to threaten him over the phone.

Police said the complaint was lodged with some delay as Ramesh’s wife fell ill following the incident and had to be hospitalised.

A case has been registered. Police are analysing UPI transaction details and CCTV footage to identify and arrest the accused.

Hotel worker killed in family clash

A 31‑year‑old hotel worker was beaten to death by his estranged wife, her brother and a friend following a family dispute in Vanasthalipuram late Tuesday. Police registered a murder case and launched an investigation. Vanasthalipuram police identified the deceased as Guru Venkatesh, a resident of BN Reddy Nagar and native of Hajipur village, Vikarabad district. His wife Swapna had been living separately, citing his alcoholism and unemployment. The couple has three children.

Police said that around 11 pm on Tuesday, Venkatesh went to a double‑bedroom housing complex near Rythu Bazar in BN Reddy Nagar to meet his children. An argument broke out with his wife.

According to a complaint by the victim’s younger brother, Guru Tirupati, Swapna and her brother Pandu confronted Venkatesh, dragged him down from the third floor and assaulted him. Pandu then called his friend Jagadeesh, and the trio continued the attack, repeatedly punching Venkatesh.

Investigators said the accused believed Venkatesh would continue to cause problems if left alive. After the assault, they abandoned him on the ground floor and left. On Wednesday morning, local residents found him unconscious and alerted emergency services. A 108 ambulance team declared him dead at the spot.

Woman SI and constable caught while accepting bribe

DC CORRESPONDENT
HYDERABAD, MAY 20

The Anti-Corruption Bureau (ACB) arrested sub-inspector M. Kiran Nandita and constable B. Vijay Kumar after allegedly catching them red-handed while accepting a `30,000 bribe at Bowenpally police station to help an accused in an attempt to murder case on Wednesday. The ACB City Zone -2 in a press note said Nandita had demanded the money through Kumar for relaxing the bail conditions imposed on the accused. The accused turned to the ACB for help. Vijay had already accepted `10,000 from the complainant, the ACB said. The bureau arrested both the SI and constable and seized the bribe amount after a chemical test showed positive. They were produced before ACB court for judicial remand.

HMDA deputy collector suspended

M. Sharmila, deputy collector, HMDA, was suspended on Tuesday. She had been transferred and posted as revenue divisional officer of Utnoor and was designated as electoral registration officer of Adilabad district. When it was found that Sharmila had not joined duty, she was suspended on the ground that her non-compliance could affect the special intensive revision (SIR) mapping in the district. In the order issued by chief commissioner of land administration D.S. Lokesh Kumar, it was mentioned that Sharmila should not leave the headquarters without obtaining prior permission and that she would be under suspension with immediate effect until further orders.

Man Arrested in Medchal for Extortion; Demanded 5 Villas to Allow Construction

Medchal police arrested a 48-year-old man, Vuppala Santhosh Kumar alias Santhosh Bhai, for allegedly trespassing into a villa construction site, threatening staff and demanding the allotment of five villas to allow construction work to continue. The case was registered on a complaint lodged by Anith Verma, legal adviser of Aura Reality Pvt. Ltd Constructions.

Police said the company was undertaking a project at Survey No. 26 in Muneerabad, Medchal-Malkajgiri district. On May 14, at around 10 am, the accused trespassed into the construction site along with associates and threatened staff members with sticks and asked them to vacate the premises immediately.

The accused allegedly claimed that the land was on the prohibited list and that the ongoing construction was illegal. Police said he also took photographs and videos at the site and allegedly threatened office staff and the site manager, by claiming influence with the Chief Minister’s personal assistant and other influential persons.

According to the complaint, the accused allegedly demanded five villas from the company in exchange for allowing construction work to continue and threatened severe consequences if his demands were not met. During the investigation, police apprehended and arrested Santhosh Kumar from Petbasheerabad and later remanded him to judicial custody.

Food Safety Officials Unearth Gross Hygiene Violations at Nagole and Karimnagar Eateries

Food safety officers said they found serious violations of safety and hygiene norms during inspections at two eateries — Urban Monk Fine Baking and Cyber Pearl Brewing Pvt. Ltd. (Meld House), in Nagole here on Wednesday. According to the food safety commissioner, the violations included pest infestation, expired and mislabeled food products, improper food storage, suspected repeated use of cooking oil, and poor sanitary conditions.

Similarly, during inspections in Karimnagar, officials found 750 damaged, foul-smelling and housefly-infested eggs at Ganesh Bangalore Bakery, Subhashnagar, Mancherial crossroads. About 20 kg cakes suspected to have been prepared using these eggs were discarded on the spot. Officials have also discarded the expired and spoiled food articles. They suspected reused oil on the spot and sent samples for analysis.


Tags:    

Similar News