US Ambassador Sergio Gor. (DC File Image)

New Delhi: Amid concerns over Chinese activity along the border and US Ambassador Sergio Gor’s ongoing visit to Ladakh, Union parliamentary affairs minister Kiren Rijiju on Thursday rejected claims of fresh Chinese incursions into Arunachal Pradesh and said development of border areas was a “top priority” of the Narendra Modi government.

Rijiju’s remarks came amid reports of renewed concerns over Chinese military activity in the Upper Subansiri region of Arunachal Pradesh. China does not recognise Arunachal Pradesh as part of India and refers to it as “South Tibet”, a position firmly rejected by New Delhi.

“Some people casually commented on the border. Border areas are tough but @narendramodi govt is committed to border development. I went to Maza, Galemo, Taksing areas in Arunachal Pradesh to speed up infrastructure works. Borders were neglected in the past but it’s top priority now,” Rijiju said in a post on X.

On Wednesday, Rijiju, who represents Arunachal West in the Lok Sabha, rejected claims that Chinese troops had penetrated as much as 60 km into Arunachal Pradesh, while acknowledging concerns among local residents.

“The India-China Border issue is a serious subject. Do not make false claims on such sensitive matter. We don’t want to repeat the past mistakes. The Government will address the concern of the local people and protect Indian Territory,” he said.

Rijiju also targeted the Congress over its record on developing infrastructure along the border, citing former defence minister A.K. Antony’s remarks in Parliament in 2013.

“Amongst the Congress leaders, A.K. Antony Ji is very honest. As defence minister he admitted the Congress Govt’s policy of not making border infrastructure on the floor of the Parliament,” Rijiju said.

Antony had acknowledged in the Lok Sabha on September 6, 2013, that China had developed significantly better infrastructure along the border and attributed India’s lag to a policy followed for decades after Independence.

However, Antony had also said that the policy had been abandoned 20 to 25 years earlier and that successive governments had since strengthened infrastructure and military capabilities in border areas. He had maintained that the Congress-led UPA government had done the “maximum” to strengthen such capabilities.

Gor’s visit to Ladakh comes six years after Indian and Chinese troops clashed in the Galwan Valley. The supplied copy, however, provides no Chinese statement or other details substantiating its assertion that Beijing is “closely watching” his visit.

Tags: