BJP Govt Forms 2 Judicial Panels To Probe Corruption, Violence On Women Under TMC-Rule In WB
The two panels have two members each– a retired Calcutta High Court judge and an additional director general (ADG)-ranked IPS officer.
Kolkata: West Bengal chief minister Suvendu Adhikari announced on Monday that his cabinet, in its second meeting, has approved the formation of two judicial inquiry commissions into institutional corruption and violence against women during the Trinamul Congress-rule in the state.
The two panels have two members each– a retired Calcutta High Court judge and an additional director general (ADG)-ranked IPS officer. The panel, probing the cases of graft and scams, is led by retired Justice Bishwajit Basu. It also has a member-secretary, K Jayaraman, now posted as ADG (North Bengal).
The second body, inquiring the cases violence against women and children, is headed by retired Justice Sampati Chatterjee. ADG (Armed Police) Damayanti Sen has been appointed as a member-secretary in it. Mr Adhikari informed that the two probe panels were among the Assembly Election manifesto promises of BJP.
“These commissions will start functioning from June 1. The state chief secretary, home secretary and DGP will provide them all the logistics and infrastructural support and required documents at the earliest. They will begin making recommendations within 30 days after starting their work. We have fulfilled our commitment,” the CM said at the state secretariat Nabanna.
He added that fresh FIRs would be registered based on the two panels recommendations. Those who have been facing Lokayukta proceedings will not come under its purview. The BJP government also took several other decisions, according to its manifesto, in the cabinet meeting.
State women and child development and social welfare minister Agnimitra Paul shared them with the media at a briefing earlier in the day. These were the constitution of the seventh pay commission for the state government employees, implementation of ₹3000 monthly assistance to a female member of each family under Annapurna Bhandar scheme, free travel for women in government buses.
Asked whether the release of the outstanding dearness allowance (DA) came up for discussion in this cabinet meeting, Ms Paul however said, “There was no discussion on DA today. Such discussions will be held later." The new government however decided to discontinue schemes of two departments— information and cultural affairs and minority affairs and madrasa education— based on ‘religious categorisation’ from June 1.
They are monthly allowances, a doll of the TMC regime, to Imams and Priests. Ms Paul added that notifications on the matter would be issued later. Interestingly, BJP earlier assured that no schemes of the previous government would be stopped. Ms Paul further pointed out that the state government has scrapped the existing state OBC list following a Calcutta High Court judgment and will set up a panel to decide the quota eligibility.