7 Injured As Protest Over Killing of Naga Civilians Turns Violent in Imphal West
Police sources said that forces fired several rounds of tear gas shells and used mock bombs. In response, some protesters pelted stones and used slingshots.
Guwahati: In a fresh development at least seven people were injured on Thursday when a protest demanding justice for the killing of Naga civilians turned violent in Imphal West district, with security forces resorting to tear gas and mock bombs to disperse demonstrators.
Hundreds of protesters from the Naga and Meitei communities gathered in the Namdilong area and along National Highway-2 near Kanglatongbi. One group staged a sit-in at Namdilong Naga village while another, under the United Naga Council (UNC), marched from Kanglatongbi Bazar towards the village, raising slogans and demanding accountability for the deaths. The situation escalated when security personnel attempted to block the rally and disperse the crowd.
Police sources said that forces fired several rounds of tear gas shells and used mock bombs. In response, some protesters pelted stones and used slingshots. Seven people, including both civilians and security personnel, sustained injuries in the clash and were taken to a hospital in Imphal for treatment. Tension remained high in the area even after the dispersal. The protest was linked to the abduction and subsequent killing of Naga civilians earlier this year. Six Naga men were among those abducted from the Leilon Vaiphei area in Kangpokpi district in mid-May following related violence, their mutilated bodies were recovered in June. Naga organisations have repeatedly demanded the arrest of those responsible, the abrogation of the Suspension of Operations (SoO) agreement with certain Kuki groups, and stronger security measures for Naga villages along the hill-valley fringe. The Liangmai Naga Council, Manipur, condemned what it called the “indiscriminate use of tear gas and excessive force” against the demonstrators. It demanded the release of any detained villagers, proper medical care for the injured, and an impartial probe into both the earlier killings and Thursday’s incident. The National Investigation Agency is already investigating the original case and has made some arrests. Ethnic tensions in Manipur, which initially flared between Meitei and Kuki-Zo communities in 2023 and later drew in Naga groups, continue to simmer despite a new state government formed earlier this year with representation from major communities. Authorities have appealed for calm and urged all sides to maintain peace while investigations proceed. Normal life in parts of the district was disrupted as the standoff continued into the evening.
Tension remains high in and around Kanglatombi and Namdilong areas of Imphal West following the incident.