Khammam: Insane man back with family

deccan chronicle  | Ravindra Seshu

Nation, In Other News

The story of Rajamallu is full of twists and turns.

Rajamallu with his saviour social activist Annam Srinivasa Rao

Khammam: Bathini Rajamallu, a person with psychological problems, is going to get reunited with his family on Friday nine years after recovering at the Institute of Mental Health, Erragadda in Hyderabad.

The story of Rajamallu is full of twists and turns. After Rajamallu left his village his family searched for him and found a body resembling him and conducted the last rites.

Rajamallu, 60, a resident of Dargamutharam village in Pedapalli mandal, came to Khammam 18 months back mentally unbalanced. He used to wander on the streets along with dogs. Annam Srininvasa Rao, a social activist, found him and brought him to his home. Rajamallu was admitted in hospital for the treatment of his sores. Srinivasa Rao, who is also a telecom employee, tried to find his native place, name and address in vain. Rajamallu is unable to say anything. Then, a petition was filed on behalf of him with the police. Based on the FIR, a case was filed in court which asked him to be admitted at the Institute of Mental Health (IMH) in Hyderabad.

Srinivasa Rao used to visit him regularly. After treatment, Rajamallu recovered both mentally and physically.

Psychiatrist B. Srikanth of IMH said that all patients will be screened first by testing blood and that behavior patterns will also be checked. He said that Rajamallu recovered well. Rajamallu said that he is from Dargamuth-aram in Karimnagar district. He had a wife, Radhamma, son Tirpupathi and two daughters Swapna and Laxmi. With the information an enquiry was carried out but that was in vain. Then, former Karimnagar district Lions Club president Dr T.V. Rao found his family at Dargamutharam. “Radhamma identified her husband. She is very happy that Rajamallu is alive,” Mr Rao said.

A team led by Srinvasa Rao is going to Peddapalli along with Rajamallu on Friday to reunite him with his family. Tirupathi said, “We are very happy that our father is back.”