In India, all states are under lockdown due to the surge in the novel COVID-19 cases. The virus refers to a large family of viruses which cause mild illness such as common flu leading to severe diseases like Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS). People experience symptoms like high fever, cough and shortness of breath.
Currently, no vaccine prevents anyone from contracting the disease, and not getting exposed to the illness is the only way you save yourself. To be specific, the health experts have suggested some of the precautionary measures to ensure safety against the virus, below are some of them:
* Stay at home
* Cover your mouth and nose while sneezing and coughing
* Always wear a mask
* Dispose of used tissues in closed trash bins
* Regularly clean surfaces
These are some safety measures you can take to fight the virus. The government is also making all the necessary arrangements to keep you safe by providing the best treatment at registered hospitals. With all the changes happening, you may be worried whether health insurance is valid in such situations.
Almost all insurance companies are extending their coverage for coronavirus for various types of health insurance plans, as per the directions by Insurance and Regulatory Authority of India (IRDAI). This means if you already have indemnity health plans, the insurers will incur all the hospitalisation and treatment costs. Below are some of the common benefits you can avail:
* Pre & post hospitalization expenses
* Covers confirmatory test charges covered as part of hospitalization expenses
* Covers quarantine charges if the treatment is at a registered medical facility
* Ambulance charges
* No capping limit on room rent at the hospital
* Cashless and reimbursement claim processes
Importance of health insurance during COVID-19
1. High treatment cost: Buying health insurance cover for you and your family is essential because treatment costs for COVID-19 or any other illness are expensive. The spread of the disease is so rampant that it can put all your family members health at risk. In India, a diagnostic test of COVID-19 initially had a cost of approximately Rs.4500 plus the hospitalization charges that could be around Rs.10,000 for a single individual. However, if you have health insurance, all these expenses will be covered.
2. Protect senior members: You should buy health insurance if you have dependent family members, including your parents. The deadly virus affects mostly senior citizens and people who tend to have a low immunity level. For the safety of your parents and family members, you should have a plan that shields them from possible health risks.
3. Financially secured: Health insurance keeps you financially secured. It will cover all the expenses made towards medical tests, doctor consultation fees, pre- and post-hospitalization costs, ambulance charges, quarantine costs if you’re seeking treatment at the hospital. This will lessen your financial stress in case of medical emergencies.
Believe it or not, the outbreak of the coronavirus has taught us many things, one is about maintaining hygiene, and the second most crucial thing is never ignoring the importance of health insurance cover. If you haven’t got a health cover yet for you and your family, now is the time before it is too late.
Disclaimer: No Deccan Chronicle journalist was involved in creating this content. The group also takes no responsibility for this content.