Boy dead, 4 ill after eating red gram berries in Khammam

deccan chronicle

Nation, Current Affairs

Farmer had sprayed chemical in field near boys’ school

Representational image
Download the all new Deccan Chronicle app for 

 and 

Download the all new Deccan Chronicle app for 

 and 

 to stay up-to-date with latest headlines and news stories in politics, entertainment, sports, technology, business and much more from India and around the world.

Khammam: A student was killed and four other students became ill after they ate the green unripe red gram berry in a field sprayed with pesticide at the Gondigudem village in Aswapuram mandal on Sunday.

Kursam Aravind, a Class V student and resident of Mamill-avai, died while he was being shifted to the Area Hospital in Bhadrachalam. Komaram Praveen, Payam Vamsi and Thati Kousik, studying in Class VIII and Kursam Raja Rao, studying in Class V, are undergoing treatment in Khammam and Bhadrachalam.

The condition of Praveen and Raja Rao is said to be serious. Doctors said that the two boys will be in intensive care for 24 hours observation.

The kids who are studying in a residential school at Gondigudem, went to see Bahubali and Nayak on Saturday night. They complained of stomach ache early on Sunday.

Praveen was taken to Mamata Hospital in Khammam and Rajarao was admitted at Bhadrachalam's Safe Hospital. His teachers thought the problem was caused by food poisoning or snake bite. Later, they suspected that he must have eaten the green redgram berrys in the field located next to the school. A farmer had sprayed pesticide on the redgram crop a day back. Vamsi and Kausik is said to be out of danger.
 

 

 

Download the all new Deccan Chronicle app for Android and iOS to stay up-to-date with latest headlines and news stories in politics, entertainment, sports, technology, business and much more from India and around the world.

Read more...