Indian woman stabbed to death in Australia


World, Neighbours

Kumar told the relative, "I think I've been stabbed" in the lane way that runs through the park

Prabha Arun Kumar (Photo: Video grab)

Melbourne: A 41-year-old Indian IT consultant was brutally stabbed to death in Australia, just 300m from her home, police said, on Sunday, as they launched a probe into the horrific attack.

Prabha Arun Kumar was on the phone to a member of her family when the "horrific" attack happened, on Saturday, in Westmead, a suburb in Sydney.

Kumar told the relative, "I think I've been stabbed" in the lane way that runs through the park close to her Westmead home.

The mother of one was found stabbed in Parramatta Park last night. The police described it as a "horrific attack".

She was found by a man lying in a large pool of blood. A friend of Kumar, who was walking home from work when she was brutally stabbed, said she always felt guilty about getting a lift home late at night.

The woman, who asked not to be named, told The Daily Telegraph she has warned Prabha about the dangers of the park.

"I told her that it is not a safe way to come through because there are people that stop and ask you for money, like 2 dollars," she said.

Superintendent Wayne Cox from Parramatta police said earlier that the woman left the station, walked along Argyle Street and onto Park Parade before being attacked in Parramatta Park.

"At this point she has taken a lane way connected up to Amos St in Westmead, and during this journey she has been attacked by a person or unknown persons," he said.

She suffered a life threatening injury. She was transported to Westmead Hospital where she was pronounced dead.

"There was a large amount of blood so she obviously suffered a significant wound," Cox said. A crime scene has been established and is being examined by specialist forensic officers.

State Crime Command's Homicide Squad is assisting Parramatta detectives in the case. Police have appealed to the public to come forward with any information related to the case.

Kumar’s husband has left from Bangalore for Sydney.