Telengana survey: Due to absence of Bus, Autos, Travellers had a tough time

dc correspondent

Nation, Current Affairs

With Hyderabad shut down, commuters suffered majorly for getting transport to their destination

File photo of APSRTC bus. (Photo: DC/File)
Hyderabad: With the Hyderabad shut down due to the Intensive Household Survey, air travellers on Tuesday faced major problems getting transport to and from the airport as taxis, airport cab services and  the RTC’s Pushpak bus services services were unavailable.


Train commuters also had a tough time getting to their destinations.


Sources at the airport said that there was no significant increase or decrease in air traffic as most people were aware of the situation beforehand and had made their own arrangements. Air traffic was nearly 25,000, the usual daily average (including domestic and international arrivals and departures).


“Although even Pushpak bus services were cancelled, people made their own arrangements and there was no significant drop or increase in traffic,” said a highly placed source.


“It was a difficult task to arrange for transportation from the airport to my hotel as cabs had cancelled all bookings made in advance for Tuesday. I had to ask a colleague to pick me up and drop me at my service apartment,” said Pulkit Jain, a professional who flew in from Pune. 


The same was the problem with trains as almost no autorickshaws were available. Many passengers were seen walking with luggage trolleys near Pushpak stands and railway stations. 


“I waited for autorickshaws for half-an-hour but then found out that no autos were plying. I walked to the main road and do not know how I will reach home. It’s 10 km away and I am stranded,” said Kailash P. who arrived at the Secunderabad station by train at 11 am.


The Pushpak airport bus service started operating after 5 pm, but it was not enough to absorb the air traffic as taxis remained off the roads till midnight on Tuesday. Moreover, since the airport liner drops people only till the stands, people could not get autos and many had to walk long distances to reach their destinations.


RTC operated 47 per cent of city buses during the early hours of Tuesday but saw only 30 per cent of the usual traffic. Full services were resumed after 5 pm.