Chennai: A hoax bomb scare on Tuesday prompted parents to throng some schools in Chennai and take away their children even as police warned of strict action against culprits.
The problem started following a bomb scare at a school, which was proved hoax. But rumours spread thick and fast on WhatsApp about bomb calls being made to many schools in the city, police said.
"Rumours are being spread through WhatsApp. No bombs had been found. Parents need not panic," a top police official said.
He said following the rumours, parents had voluntarily taken their children away, especially from schools along East Coast Road and Mylapore.
Some schools also advised the students to leave as a precautionary measure, a section of parents said.
Police warned that stringent action will be taken against those spreading such rumours, and that the matter was being probed....