Students deported had given wrong information, says US

The Government of India continues to remain closely engaged with the United States Government.

New Delhi: The United States has told India that certain Indian students were deported recently because they “had presented information to the border patrol agent which was inconsistent with their visa status.”

The explanation has failed to satisfy New Delhi, which has “strongly emphasised the need for the United States authorities to honour the visas issued by their own Embassy or Consulates.”

India is also miffed after discovering that not only were students travelling to two specific American universities sent back but that "some Indian nationals travelling on business/ tourism/ work visas have also been deported" as also other Indian students. The developments have the potential of escalating into a diplomatic row.

In a statement from New Delhi, the ministry of external affairs said, “There have been further cases of denial of entry to Indian students holding valid visas to pursue studies in other United States educational institutions. Some Indian nationals travelling on business, tourism orwork visas have also been deported.

The United States Government has conveyed that the decision to deny them entry is not because of the concerned institutions being “black-listed" but based on the assessment of the US immigration authorities of individual applicants. The Government of India continues to remain closely engaged with the United States Government. We have strongly emphasised the need for the United Statesauthorities to honour the visas issued by their own Embassy or Consulates,” the statement said.

The MEA statement reiterated that all Indian students seeking admission in United States educational institutions should do due diligence to ensure that the institutions to which they are seeking admission have proper authorisation and capacities.

Apart from travel documents, they should carry all required documents regarding their study plans, housing, financial support, healthcare arrangements. and be prepared for admission (entry to the US) interviews with United States immigration officials, it said.

It advised all Indian nationals travelling to the United States on other visas to carry the necessary supporting documents regarding place of stay, financial support, medical arrangements, sponsorship details etc.