Kerala students are in search of role models

There was a new emotional bond,” Mr Kumar said.

Alappuzha: The young, especially schoolchildren, may have role models, but mostly foreign leaders about whom they study in classrooms. The local people who have set an example to others in many ways, including teachers and parents, are hardly given that status.

To rectify this lacuna, the National Service Scheme students belonging to ten schools in the district conducted an innovative programme titled 'Divyam' during their camp held at Ayaparambu Higher Secondary School near Haripad on December 26. About 50 Plus-Two students, who participated in the week-long camp, honoured the role models of their area on the occasion.

Mr Brahmanayakam Mahadevan, NSS trainer, who led the event, said that the programme was intended to instil in the students love and respect for the local ‘role models.’

According to Mr B. Bijukumar, programme coordinator, the people lack role models to follow. “Our effort was to choose the most admirable person in the locality or school. Many students chose teachers, some came with their parents and a few selected their friends. They touched their feet seeking their blessings, shared lighter moments, kissed them on their forehead and hugged each other. There was a new emotional bond,” Mr Kumar said.

M. Smitha, a volunteer, said she presented sweets to her teacher who wished her a bright future. “She had made me dream in life and work hard to realise my aim. I feel thankful to the teacher for every success in my life. This programme was a chance to recognise my role model,” she said.