Delhi govt seeks student volunteers for odd-even campaign

Schools are directed to ensure participation of 30-40 students.

New Delhi: Delhi's Directorate of Education on Thursday directed its schools to ensure participation of at least 30 students in an awareness campaign on the odd-even scheme, a move over which Delhi Police raised concerns about accountability in case of any untoward incident.

"The heads of schools are directed to ensure participation of 30-40 students from their respective schools for activities in respect of odd-even campaign at the identified locations near their schools from January 1-15," a circular sent by DoE read.

"Around 5-6 students of classes VI-VIII and one teacher from each of the schools have to participate on alternate day/shift during the above mentioned period," it added.

Senior Delhi Police officials expressed surprise over the circular, saying who will face charges of negligence if anything goes wrong and a child ends up becoming the victim of any untoward incident during the drive.

"Will the case of negligence be against the concerned teacher heading the group of school children, the head of the school they represent or senior government officials from the concerned department through which the circular was issued," the senior official said.

DoE officials were not available for their comments on the issue despite repeated calls and text messages.

The ambitious odd-even scheme of the Delhi government that will restrict movement of private cars on the roads of the national capital between 8 AM and 8 PM for 15 days is all set to roll out tomorrow, with the city police assuring full commitment to its enforcement.

Under the scheme, private cars having odd registration numbers will be allowed to ply on odd dates and those with even numbers on even dates.

DoE had earlier directed shutting down of schools during the period so the school buses can be added to the fleet of DTC for being used as public transport.

( Source : PTI )