Toilets in schools cause for urinary, bladder infections

Both Union and state government are extensively promoting hygiene.
KARIMNAGAR: Both Union and state government are extensively promoting hygiene through Swachh Bharath. But the ground reality is quite contrast. Students and elderly people are infected with urinary diseases for using toilets of the city, says a study. Students studying in government and private schools and colleges are most likely to be diagnosed with infections of urinary tract, bladder and kidney and its failure because presence of pathogenic bacteria in toilets of educational institutions and public spaces such as bus stands, cinema halls and hotels of the city. This was found when a small research project was carried out by Dr G. Madan Mohan, a lecturer working with department of industrial microbiology, SRR Degree College of the city, from September 2015 to November 2015.
Alarmingly, pathogenic bacteria such as E.coli, Klebsiella sps, Proteus sps, Salmonella sps, Citrobacter were isolated in 28 samples out of the total 30 collected from different educational institutions from the city and when cultured for bacterial isolates. Ninety three per cent of toilets are unsafe. The study was held in view of growing prevalence of infection of urinary track among schoolchildren and college students.
“The bacteria isolated in the present study are the common causative of Urinary tract infections. The bacteria often spread up to the bladder, causing bladder infection, called cystitis. Continue spreading the bacteria in urinary tract may also cause kidney infection and kidney failure,” cautioned Mr Madan Mohan. Using clips meant for locking doors of toilets is also dangerous, he added.
The lecturer stated that he decided to conduct the research when a study showed that the percentage of schoolchildren and college students were increasingly being diagnosed with infections of urinary track from the recent past. “Students are consuming lower water than normal requirement and are holding the urine for several hours in order to avoid use of unhygienic toilets. However, they are often infected with pathogens for relying on unhygienic toilets. The only solution is to keep the toilets of educational institutions and public places clean,” opined the researcher.

Download the all new Deccan Chronicle app for Android and iOS to stay up-to-date with latest headlines and news stories in politics, entertainment, sports, technology, business and much more from India and around the world.