Teacher creates ruckus

A school teacher went berserk, breaking furniture in the class and caning students.
Visakhapatnam: A school teacher went berserk on Tuesday, breaking furniture in the class and caning students at the government-run high school at Konda Koppaka in Anakapalli mandal, 40 km from Vizag. As students fled, the classroom resembled a battle zone after teacher Vijaya Lakshmi’s unexplained attack. She was escorted home by other teachers after she calmed down. It is learnt that three cases had been registered in the past against the Telugu pandit, about her behaviour. School education officials stated that she was suffering from a mental disorder. “Since her entry into the teaching profession in 2002, she sometimes behaves abnormally,” one of her colleagues said.
Anakapalli mandal education officer D. Diwakar said the teacher was suffering from some form of psychological disorder. “We had received many complaints against the teacher but we we gave a second chance on humanitarian grounds. This time, we are going to recommend departmental action against her.” Headmaster B. Siva Naidu said Ms. Lakshmi had attacked the in-charge headmaster Padma. Late in the evening. Deputy DEO C.V. Renuka visited the school and took a complaint from the villagers as well as teachers, he said.

Download the all new Deccan Chronicle app for Android and iOS to stay up-to-date with latest headlines and news stories in politics, entertainment, sports, technology, business and much more from India and around the world.