Goofed-up students deported from US

AP official says some students could not expand MBA.
Hyderabad/New Delhi: Some Indian students who failed to answer basic questions at the immigration counters on arrival in the United States were deported back home, according to top sources in the AP government. Some of the students even told officials that they want to work in the US.
A top functionary of the AP government said, “When asked by US immigration officials whether they had the money to support their education, some of them said they would take up jobs. When asked to expand abbreviation MBA, some of them couldn’t answer. This may have led to their deportation. However we will get clarity on Wednesday.”
He was replying about deportation of students and Air India refusing to fly some students bound for two universities in the California — Silicon Valley University, San Jose, and North Western Polytechnic University, Fremont. Replying to a query on the deportation of students, the US Consulate in Hyderabad said: “We are indeed aware of reports that some students were refused boarding by Air India. However, as boarding decisions are made solely by the airline, I refer you to Air India for further information about their boarding decisions.”
According to information on the website of the US department for homeland security that administers the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System, the SEV programme certifies schools to issue I-20 and DS-2019 visas. That certification allows schools to offer programmes of study to non-immigrant students. Failure to complete the code of federal regulations can result in determination that a school is no longer eligible for certification.
Varsities deny being blacklisted
The Indian students were deported because their visas were denied by the US Immigration Authorities. “Air India has acted as per the advice of US authorities. We have strongly taken up the matter with the US government both in the US and in Delhi. We are closely following up the matter with the aim of resolving it at the earliest,” the ministry of external affairs (MEA) said in New Delhi.
“We have to find out why visas were issued in the first place by the US government,” sources said.
According to reports, the two universities — Silicon Valley University and Northwestern Polytechnic University — said they have been told by the US Customs and Border Protection that they have not been blacklisted by the US government or any of its agencies.
The two universities said that there has been increased security and questioning at the port of entry in view of the recent terrorist attacks in the country.

Download the all new Deccan Chronicle app for Android and iOS to stay up-to-date with latest headlines and news stories in politics, entertainment, sports, technology, business and much more from India and around the world.