13 Kochi students for National Maths Olympiad

A total of 35 students across the state were selected for the National Mathematical Olympiad to be held on Jan 17.
Kochi: While past trends point towards students from the state struggling at the tough Mathematics Olympiad, a problem solving competition originating at the regional level and ending up in a world championship, students of a Kochi school have repeated their record performance for the third consecutive year.
Antony Paul Paramel, Akhil Sajeev, Nikhil Jacob George and Kapil Krishna G of the Saraswathy Vidya Nikethan, Perandoor, Ernakulam, bagged the top four ranks, while nine of their colleagues also qualified in the Regional Mathematical Olympiad held on December 6.
While 20 of the students from the school qualified for the National Mathematical Olympiad in 2013, 15 students made the cut last year.
“A total of 720 students from across the schools sat for the examination. This time the second round, ie National Mathematical Olympiad, will be held on January 17 instead of the usual second week of February. The performance of the Kochi school is commendable,” said Dr A Vijayakumar, Regional Co-ordinator, Indian National Mathematical Olympiad.
“We are giving them good orientation and special coaching classes taken by IIT experts. These 13 students will be given intensive training so that at least one of them makes it to the India team for the world championship,” said Principal Devan Gopal.

Download the all new Deccan Chronicle app for Android and iOS to stay up-to-date with latest headlines and news stories in politics, entertainment, sports, technology, business and much more from India and around the world.