Osmania University split along caste lines for functions

Participation in events based on caste; some keep away.

Hyderabad: Osmania University students are increasingly being divided along caste lines. There are about 60 student organisations in the varsity of which more than half are caste-based.

The recent beef festival which was disallowed was supported by 24 of the student organisations that were mostly Dalit and Left wing.

A few months back OBC student organisations had organised round-table conferences and meetings at the height of the Hardik Patel issue.

In the start of 2015, a shakha was held in front of the Arts College in which general category students participated.

However, the participants in these events were divided along caste lines. While the beef festival was supported majorly by SC/ST students, the OBC students’ events were not attended by students of other communities, and the shakha was mainly attended by general category students.

A senior professor from Arts College and a former OU student said, “Earlier there were many general category students. However, over the years their numbers decreased in the university and now more than 90 per cent of the students belong to SC, ST or OBC categories. Still there is infighting between them.”

It is thus not surprising that there are at least 100 teachers in Osmania University with either of these cases against them.

For example, if an SC or ST student leader is questioned on indiscipline, low attendance or academic matters by a teacher belonging to an upper caste or OBC community, the students simply book an atrocity case against the professor. If the professor belongs to SC/ST community, the students either physically attack them or accuse them of harassment, sexual abuse or molestation."

It is thus not surprising that there are at least 100 teachers in OU with either of these cases against them.

Varsity confirms exam will be held on Monday

The Osmania University administration remained firm and said that the semester-end exams would be conducted from Monday as per schedule.

During the third consecutive day of protests by students demanding postponement of the semester exams on Sunday, a woman police constable was injured by a girl student.

Many girl students protested in front of the ladies hostel complex. When the police tried to disperse them, a girl student pulled a woman police constable by her hair, resulting in injuries to the cop.

OU Registrar Prof. E. Suresh Kumar said exams would be conducted as per schedule and strict action would be taken against anyone who tries to disrupt the exams, including cancellation of admission for misbehaviour or misconduct as per university rules. He said exams would not be conducted again for those who boycott the exams.

Download the all new Deccan Chronicle app for Android and iOS to stay up-to-date with latest headlines and news stories in politics, entertainment, sports, technology, business and much more from India and around the world.