Two boys suffer electric shock at Gurukul, 1 dead

The incident happened due to a power outage while they were taking bath.
Hyderabad: Two students from Bihar studying at the Vatuka Vikasa Kendram Gurukul in Aliabad suffered electric shock while they were taking bath on Sunday. Of the two Naveen succumbed while being shifted to hospital and Sourabh is undergoing treatment at Gandhi Hospital.
The incident happened due to a power outage while they were taking bath. Both the boys got down into the sump to draw water and then the power came back. A loose electric wire, dipping in the sump water, electrocuted them. Meanwhile, the AP Balahakkula Sangham demanded criminal prosecution of the school management.
Naveen, 16, joined in July 2015 and was studying in Class VIII and Saurabh, 15, who joined in June 2014, was studying in Class V at the Gurukul run by Govinda Shanthi Binjrajka Seva Trust. The residential institute houses 60 students from all over the country. It follows the CBSE syllabus and teaches Vedic literature too.
On Sunday, due to water shortage on the campus, the boys went to a goshala opposite their hostel. They drew water from a sump for bathing and at the time thwre was a power outage. Naveen and Sourabh got down into the sump and was helping other students to draw water. But they did not see a loose electric cable which had got detached from the motor and was dipping into the water.
“Suddenly the power scame back and both suffered shock,” said assistant teacher Naval Kishore. Both the boys were shifted to a hospital where doctors declared Naveen dead. After first aid Sourabh was taken to Gandhi Hospital.
Doctors said that Sourabh had vomited the water he had drunk when he suffered shock and is out of danger. However, he is under observation. Based on a complaint from the management a case of suspicious death was registered. Naveen’s body was taken for postmortem.
AP Balala Hakkula Sangham alleged that only scripture was taught at the institution and it did not provide basic facilities to children. The Sangham demanded a compensation of Rs 10 lakh for Naveen’s family.

Download the all new Deccan Chronicle app for Android and iOS to stay up-to-date with latest headlines and news stories in politics, entertainment, sports, technology, business and much more from India and around the world.