Swamy Paripoornananda opposes Osmania University beef festival

The seer conducted a gau puja at the goshala on Lower Tank Bund Road.
Hyderabad: Swami Paripoornananda of Sreepeetham, who opposed the OU beef festival, wants the government to provide a cow to every farmer.
The seer conducted a gau puja at the goshala on Lower Tank Bund Road along with Uppal BJP MLA N.V.S.S. Prabhakar and observed gau raksha divas.
“We are educated people. We should not indulge in things that will hurt the sentiments of people. We have to protect the cow, which provides milk. The government should come out with a Go Raksha Kranti scheme,” he said.
Goshamahal BJP MLA Raja Singh said “Students should not indulge in act that will hurt the sentiments. I will continue to oppose beef fests. I was wrongly detained by cops.”
Raja Singh, others arrested
Over 350 persons including BJP Goshamahal MLA Raja Singh, who protested the beef festival at the OU, former corporator Amjed Ullah Khan and retired University professor P.L. Vishweshwar Rao were detained on Thursday.
The detained persons included the beef festival organisers and other activists of political outfits at various locations in Langer Houz and Bolarum and Amberpet areas. Protesters damaged three city buses in the university vicinity.
Meanwhile, a media professional who was covering the episode at the university alleged that the police manhandled her and detained her. However, the cops denied the reports and said they were protecting her from the protesting mob.
Additional forces had been deployed in the university since Wednesday to ensure that the beef festival did not take place. The organisers were not allowed to step out of their hostels and outsiders were denied entry into the campus.
On Wednesday night the police picked up six students from Triveni Hostel which accommodates students of the Potti Sreeramulu Telugu University. They then detained students from NRHS and Ambedkar hostels.
Security forces cordoned off the campus from outside and from within leaving no chance for the organisers or the sympathizers of the fest to make a move.
As many as 165 persons including students and activists were arrested in East Zone under whose jurisdiction Osmania University falls. Another 117 were arrested in West zone, 24 in Central Zone, 22 in North Zone and two from South Zone.
A media personnel covering the episode took to social media alleging that the cops had misbehaved with her and detained her before her clothes were torn in the scuffle. Police however denied the reports saying that they tried to protect her from the protesting crowds.
"When nearly 170 people are arrested in the University area, how can only one person, who is a woman, be mishandled? We identified her when she was among the students and asked her to come out of the group. We tried to protect her from getting embarrassed." clarified East Zone DCP Ravinder.
Indian Journalists’ Union and Telangana State Union of working Journalists meanwhile condemned the incident involving the woman and demanded a thorough probe into the incident to punish the responsible cops.

Download the all new Deccan Chronicle app for Android and iOS to stay up-to-date with latest headlines and news stories in politics, entertainment, sports, technology, business and much more from India and around the world.