University of Hyderabad to cut short term over water

On Monday the university conducted a meeting with the students’ union.

Hyderabad: The University of Hyderabad might shorten its next semester due to a possible water crisis in the summer. As the Manjeera water supply to the university has stopped, leaving many hostels dry, the varsity administration is planning to reduce the duration of the next semester so that students can go back to their hometowns early than face a water crisis in campus. On Monday the university conducted a meeting with the students’ union over the issue.

Varsity planning extra classes next semester

The semester in University of Hyderabad, which starts in January, usually ends around May 10. But the university administration is planning to conduct extra classes next semester so that the courses can be completed early, along with the exams, so that the semester can be wrapped up by April. This will save the students from facing a tough time due to a water crisis in summer.

“The university will have vacations this month and once it reopens in January next year, there will be an all party meeting on the issue,” said a member of the students union.
An official from the university said, “If the water problem gets solved early then its good, but if it does not, students will have to suffer especially in the summer next year when the problem might become more severe. No decision regarding shortening of the semester has been taken yet and it will be decided only in January once college reopens.”