Poll fever grips Mahatma Gandhi University campuses

295 colleges under varsity will go to polls on December 8

KOCHI: The 295 colleges under MG university will have college union elections on December 8. The campuses are currently witnessing heated campaigning by candidates and the activists of the political outfits sponsoring them.

On its part, MG university has appointed the varsity registrar as the chief observer of the polls and the team under him is now visiting campuses to make sure that campaigns are conducted in a fair manner.

Students are gripped by poll fever and have given their studies a backseat for the time-being. In Kochi city, as always all eyes are on Maharaja’s College campus which has become autonomous but has scheduled its election along with that of MGU on December 8. The college sports a festive look now with posters and festoons all over the campus.

No different is the state of the Government Law College also in the city where also the battle is being held on political lines. On the outskirts, the Aluva UC College is a college where a heated election is taking place between KSU and SFI.

At the UC College, KSU has fielded a girl Sharafunnisa Karoli, the national executive member of NSU (I), as the chairperson candidate.

“Since 1993, the college did not have a woman chairperson. The college has 70 percent girls. So we are rooting for a change. We are also raising the issue of teachers interfering in the politics of students and favouring some. Because of this, the nomination of our magazine editor was rejected. We also propose to conduct an international film fest, folk art fest etc on the campus,” she said.

Amal C S, SFI unit secretary at the Law College, said that they were seeking a vote for continuity since SFI had been ruling the campus for the past 10 years.

“We built a non-academic library and now have taken up renovation of our historic building,” he added. At Maharaja’s, fascism, intolerance, violent student politics, autonomy are the major issues being debated. KSU seeks to end the 39-year dominance of SFI on the campus.

Download the all new Deccan Chronicle app for Android and iOS to stay up-to-date with latest headlines and news stories in politics, entertainment, sports, technology, business and much more from India and around the world.