SFI-ASA sweeps Pondicherry University polls

First time Left alliance has won office-bearers, panel posts

Puducherry: The alliance of Students Federation of India(SFI) and Ambedkar Students Association (ASA) swept the Pondicherry University students’ union election on Thursday, bagging all major office-bearers and executive committee member posts.

It is for the first time in the university’s history that a left alliance has won any major office bearer post.

Newly elected general secretary Jishnu EN said the election reflected Pondicherry university students hatred against fascism, communal ideology and described it as victory of students over money and power. “The new election is a strong statement against the communal ideology that students’ wing like ABVP is trying to spread and proved that money cannot win all the time,” he said.

The election was held at 10 am today and results were announced by 5 p.m. Authorities said the election was peaceful.

The university followed a parliamentary mode of election where elected representatives of different schools of the university and its campuses in Mahe, Karaikal, and Port Blair will elect the office bearers.The alliance won 56 seats among the 75 representative posts in an election held on November 23.

Meanwhile, the SFI central executive committee congratulated students for reposing their faith in the alliance of SFI_and ASA.

Talking to Deccan Chronicle, SFI central committee president V. Sivadasan said the election results proved that the students rejected the communal ideology of ABVP.

In the last two years, Pondicherry university witnessed a series of protests, including protests against ragging and sexual harassment and demanding removal of Chandra Krishnamoorthy as Vice-Chancellor.

Download the all new Deccan Chronicle app for Android and iOS to stay up-to-date with latest headlines and news stories in politics, entertainment, sports, technology, business and much more from India and around the world.