Barack Obama condemns 'appalling' Mali jihadist attack

AFP
Published Nov 21, 2015, 2:10 pm IST
Updated Mar 27, 2019, 12:57 am IST
Assault was claimed by the Al-Murabitoun group
US President Barack Obama (Photo: AP)
 US President Barack Obama (Photo: AP)

Kuala Lumpur: US President Barack Obama on Saturday condemned what he called the "appalling" jihadist attack in Mali that left at least 27 people dead, including an American citizen.

"This barbarity only stiffens our resolve to meet this challenge," he said during a visit to Malaysia, referring to the global threat of extremist violence.

 

Gun-toting jihadists took more than 100 people hostage for around nine hours at a top hotel in Mali's capital Bamako on Friday.

The assault was claimed by the Al-Murabitoun group, an Al-Qaeda affiliate led by notorious one-eyed Algerian militant Mokhtar Belmokhtar.

The incident added to fears over the global jihadist threat a week after the devastating Paris attacks that killed 130 people and were claimed by the Islamic State group.

Special Forces staged a dramatic floor-by-floor assault to end the siege after about nine hours.

Malian security sources said at least 27 hostages had been killed.

 

A senior US State Department official confirmed a US citizen was among the victims with another dozen Americans surviving the attack.

 

 

 

Download the all new Deccan Chronicle app for Android and iOS to stay up-to-date with latest headlines and news stories in politics, entertainment, sports, technology, business and much more from India and around the world.

...




ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
-->