Sheena Bora murder case: Court records driver Shyamvar Rai's statement

Rai had written to court saying that he wanted to 'reveal the truth' about the case

Mumbai: Shyamvar Rai, arrested driver of prime accused Indrani Mukerjea in connection with the sensational Sheena Bora murder case, has recorded his statement before a court here.

"The court recorded Rai's statement under the provisions of Section 164 of Criminal Procedure Code, which unlike a police statement is admissible in court," a CBI official said on Thursday.

The official added that the statement will be sent to the trial judge by the Magistrate who will unseal it and give copies to the lawyers.

"We don't know the contents of the statement as it was recorded in-camera," he said.

Earlier, Rai had written to the court and had said that he wanted to 'reveal the truth' about the case.

However, Magistrate RV Adone had then not recorded his statement saying that CBI had not followed proper procedures.

43-year-old Indrani, her former husband Sanjeev Khanna and Rai will be produced in the court tomorrow as their judicial custody expires even as CBI prepares to file the charge sheet against them.

On October 31, the trio was remanded to judicial custody till November 7 which was further extended till November 20.

On November 3, Indrani had given her consent for voice sample tests to be conducted on her.

The CBI had earlier moved an application before the magistrate seeking her voice samples saying that it had got hold of some call recordings which purportedly featured her voice, and therefore a verification was needed.

Indrani, Khanna and Rai were arrested in August on the charge of murdering Sheena and disposing off her body in a Raigad forest in April 2012, about 84 kms from Mumbai.

24-year-old Sheena was allegedly strangled in a car, then her body was burnt before being dumped in the forest.

Indrani was recently hospitalised after her platelet count dipped drastically. However, doctors at JJ hospital had made it clear that she had not contracted dengue as suspected.

On October 2, Indrani was taken to J J from Byculla womens' prison in an unconscious state, fuelling speculation that she had overdosed on anti-depressant drugs. But the probe by Inspector General (prisons) ruled out the possibility of drug overdose, poisoning or suicide bid. Later, she was discharged and sent back to jail.

( Source : PTI )
Next Story