The right exposure

Graduating students talk about their new-found perspective

The Jawaharlal Nehru Architecture and Fine Arts University (JNAFAU) recently concluded its three-day exhibition of photographs from its two-month certificate course in photography, and the graduating students couldn’t be happier with the response they got from everyone.

One of Amaresh’s favourite shots

“People in my college now know who I am and they really appreciated the work that I had put up,” says Katta Amareshwar Chowdary, a 19-year-old B.Tech first-year student at JNAFAU.

Of his works, Amaresh says that he’s most proud of his photograph on the theme “child labour”. “There was a flag hoisting going on in a nearby neighbourhood with a few political leaders, and right outside there were these children sitting at a construction site,” Amaresh says adding, “No one was looking at them. People loved that photograph.”

A photograph shot by Murali

The course, which ended with the exhibition on November 15, saw 20 graduates display their photographs with themes ranging from street photography to nightlife.

Another student Avinash Reddy, says that they learnt a lot about the technicalities of photography. “With SLRs and DSLRs you can shoot many things,” says the 23-year-old, “But you need proper arrangement, focus and a clear vision.”

Nishan’s best shot

“Things like these may seem small, but they make a huge difference to your shot,” agrees Nishan Sampreeth Chilkuri, “My favourite shot was of this old man with sunglasses.”

Murali Krishna’s shot of a champagne bottle

Adapa Vasudev Murali Krishna, who will be joining his father’s wedding photography studio, says, “My submission of a photo of a champagne bottle, took me around two hours to get the lighting right. It was difficult, but the outcome was really good.”

Download the all new Deccan Chronicle app for Android and iOS to stay up-to-date with latest headlines and news stories in politics, entertainment, sports, technology, business and much more from India and around the world.