Mumbai Police yet to get info from CBI on Chhota Rajan's deportation

PTI
Published Nov 4, 2015, 12:59 am IST
Updated Mar 27, 2019, 6:08 am IST
Maharashtra CM had earlier said Chhota Rajan would be brought to Mumbai
Arrested gangster Chota Rajan is escorted by police officers for questioning in Bali, Indonesia on Tuesday (Photo: PTI)
 Arrested gangster Chota Rajan is escorted by police officers for questioning in Bali, Indonesia on Tuesday (Photo: PTI)

Mumbai: With decks being cleared for deportation of underworld don Chhota Rajan to India, Mumbai police on Tuesday said they were yet to receive any official communication on when the arrested gangster will be brought back.

"We have no official information from the CBI on bringing back Rajan," Mumbai Police Commissioner Ahmed Javed told reporters here.

 

He, however, said Mumbai Police has put in place all the arrangements for the safe custody of the 55-year-old don, when he shall be deported from Bali to the metropolis.

"We have examined two to three places in the city to keep the don safely while in custody," he said.

Read:

Chhota Rajan to be brought to Mumbai, says Devendra Fadnavis

Some Mumbai Police officials have links with Dawood, says Chhota Rajan

India steps up efforts to secure gangster Chhota Rajan's extradition

Underworld don Chhota Rajan faces six MCOCA cases

On allegations levelled by the gangster that a section of Mumbai police has been supporting his once-time boss and terrorist Dawood Ibrahim, Javed said,"I wouldn't like to say anything on such allegations by a gangster except that the security arrangements to keep him are appropriately made and police will follow all the rules and regulations."

 

Earlier in the day, Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis had confirmed that Rajan would be brought to Mumbai without divulging any further details.

Rajan, who was arrested at Bali airport on his arrival from Australia on October 25, is expected to be produced soon before an Indonesian court where the police there will submit details of the cases for which he is wanted in India.

He is likely to be deported to India soon. "The entire process is likely to be completed in next two-three days," an Indian official had said on Monday.

"The government can keep me anywhere -- Delhi or Mumbai. But there should be no injustice done to me. All cases against me are false," Rajan, who is wanted in over 75 heinous crimes ranging from murder, extortion to smuggling and drug trafficking, told reporters in Bali when asked whether he was afraid of returning to Mumbai.

 

The Indian team, comprising officers from CBI, Mumbai and Delhi police, arrived in Bali on Sunday. The team is carrying a detailed dossier on Rajan and his involvement in various crimes in India.

The team for the first time questioned him on Monday in the presence of Indonesian police at the detention centre where he has been lodged for the last 10 days.

Mumbai Police has registered 20 murder cases against Rajan, four under the Terrorist and Disruptive Activities (Prevention) Act (TADA), one under Prevention of Terrorism Act (POTA) and over 20 cases under the stringent Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA).

 

Delhi Police has got six cases against him. Rajan, whose original name is Rajendra Sadashiv Nikhalje, was arrested in Bali on the basis of a Red Corner Notice from Interpol and following a tip off by Australian authorities to the police in Indonesia.

In a related development, Mumbai Police today arrested Rajan's 'right-hand man' Nilesh Dinkar Paradkar alias Shatlya Paradkar and another gangster Raghu Shetty, both associated with Rajan, had allegedly demanded Rs 15 crore from a suburban Bhandup-based Slum Rehabilitation Authority (SRA) developer, police claimed.

 

...




ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
-->