Telangana: Punjabi dress for girls from next year to tackle malaria

At present students in government and private schools wear short sleeve shirts

Nizamabad: The Telangana state government is planning to change the school uniform from the next academic year ostensibly to protect students from mosquito bites.

According to the proposed uniform code, girls should wear long sleeve shirts and salwaar kameez while boys should wear trousers along with long sleeve shirts.

At present students in government and private schools wear short sleeve shirts, trousers and skirts which leave them exposed to mosquitoes.

Malaria control officials noticed that students were prone to mosquito bites, which causes dengue, malaria and chikungunya fever. In recent times, the officials found most of the students have been suffering from malaria and dengue.

For instance in Nizamabad district, two students died with dengue symptoms and numerous suffered from dengue and malaria.

In this context, officials of health and family welfare brought to the notice of school education authorities of the need to change the existing uniform model to protect students from mosquito bite.

Speaking to Deccan Chronicle, district malaria officer K. Lakshmaiah confirmed that senior officials had proposed changes in school uniforms.

As of now, residential schools society officials have responded positively to the change in uniform code immediately, he said. Uniforms supplied free by the government will be changed and private schools will also follow, he added.