Occupy UGC movement gets Eflu, University of Hyderabad support

Eflu students took out a rally from the canteen to the second entrance gate
Hyderabad: Students of the English and Foreign Languages University and University of Hyderabad on Thursday condemned the police crackdown on students in New Delhi who were participating in the Occupy UGC movement against scrapping of the non-National Eligibility Test fellowships.
Eflu students took out a rally from the canteen to the second entrance gate and burned effigies of the UGC and the Union human resource development ministry. At the UoH, students belonging to various organisations gathered at the north campus and raised slogans against the Centre, UGC and the Delhi Police.
A PhD student said at Eflu, “On one side, the Centre is saying that the economy is growing and on the another side, they are scrapping student welfare schemes saying that there is no money. If the economy is growing, they have to increase spending on education.”
The protesting students reiterated the demands of the Occupy UGC movement, that the UGC and MHRD must nullify the UGC decision on scrapping non-NET fellowship.
They also wanted any exclusionary criteria such as merit or economic criteria to be withdrawn.
They sought increase in the fellowship from '5,000 for M.Phil and '8,000 for PhD students to '8,000 and '12,000 respectively, and that the fellowship must be expanded to state universities.