Students hit by UGC decision

Non-Net fellowships to be scrapped
CHENNAI: As researchers across India protest the UGC move to scrap non-Net (Net- National Eligibility Test) fellowships, universities in Tamil Nadu say that at least 25 per cent of their students will be affected.
They further point out that the directives are not clear. Since there is a lot of confusion, many students are unsure of what they should do.
"I wrote a non-Net examination three to four months ago and though I cleared it, I am not sure whether I would be given fellowship. If I would get the amount it would re
ally help me to pay the fee and buy books. If government is going to scrap it off, it would really be unfair", said R. Karthiga from Madurai Kamaraj University.
Arham Habib, who is currently pursuing his M. Phil degree from Madras University, said that people who get into research basically need some financial assistance from government. "As far as Net and JRF are concerned those are credentials, when you clear them you get a good amount. But non- Net is applicable for all students. The government's decision to withdraw this doesn't seem fair,” he said.
K. Ravichandran, Head of Business studies in Madurai Kamaraj University, said the amount given by UGC for non-Net fellowship varies from university to university. Madurai Kamaraj University gets a lump sum amount. He said, “Around 20 to 25 per cent students would be affected if it is withdrawn."
He added there is confusion, as UGC has not mentioned clearly as to whether those who would register for non-Net fellowship now would get it or not. "Since we have the independence to offer the fellowship to students, till 2017 we can select students and give them fellowship. Probably, after 2017 UGC won't grant any amount," he said.
This non-net fellowship is not a permanent feature. He further added that fellowship facilitates and encourages more students for research work. A person who is qualified for post graduation and M. Phil and is joining to do research without any assistance would find it quite difficult.