Mahatma Gandhi University keeps off-campus students on tenterhooks

The University had decided to close down 65 of the 122 centres which were functioning outside their jurisdiction

KOTTAYAM: Thousands of off-campus students of MG University who were studying in various centres across the state are worried over the University’s decision not to make arrangements to restart the off campuses that were closed after a High Court order, as it would disrupt their academic pursuits.

The MG University had decided to stop the functioning of the off campus centres outside its territorial jurisdiction following a High Court order.

As per the High Court order, the University had decided to close down 65 of the 122 centres which were functioning outside their jurisdiction.

Among the 14,000 candidates who study in the off campus centers of the University, only 1,000 have registered as per the new direction of the University.

This means that the other students who have not registered again will not be able to pursue their academic activities.

“According to the latest decision of the University, the students will be forced to commute to faraway places in the state to attend classes as well as to write exams. Classes are minimal and the students will have to study even disciplines including computer application with very few classes”, said Varghese Moyalan, a BBA student who studies at the off campus centre of the University at Chalakkudy.

Many among the academic circles and in the University say that those students who have already registered at the off campus centres should be permitted to continue their studies, since many of the students belong to faraway places.

“The University can discontinue the courses, however they should permit the students who have already registered to continue till the end of their course”, Prof Abdul Latif, member of the MG University Syndicate told DC. The MG University had started the off campus centres in 2002.