Majestic mayhem: BMTC bus runs over PU student

A 17-year-old first PU student of Mount Carmel College was run over by a BMTC bus

Bengaluru: In a shocking incident which exposes the traffic mayhem in the busy Majestic area which houses the City bus stand, a 17-year-old first PU student of Mount Carmel College was run over by a BMTC bus on Monday morning.

The deceased, identified as Poornima Sundarmurthy, was crossing the road to board a bus from the City bus stand to go to her college when the accident happened, the police said. The bus driver after the accident did not stop and sped away but was later traced and arrested by the police.

According to the police, Poornima, left her house in Balepet in Chickpet at around 7 am and had reached Majestic in an auto from where she was about to board a bus. She was crossing the road at about 7:40 am near Sanman Gate when the speeding bus bearing registration number KA-01-F 8714 (Route no. 244) taking a left turn to enter the bus stand, knocked her down.

Poornima sustained fatal head injuries and was seen lying at the spot until the police arrived and shifted her in an ambulance to Victoria Hospital where she was declared brought dead. Her body after the postmortem was handed over to her family members.

An eyewitness who had noted down the registration number of the bus helped the police trace the vehicle and apprehend the driver. Upparpet traffic police have registered a case of hit and run and accidental death due to rash and negligent driving.

Daughter of a flower merchant, Poornima was a first year PU student at Mount Carmel College in Vasanthnagar.