Solar energy: VIT University launches new cell

Researchers would be producing solar power
Vellore: A ‘Solar Energy Research Cell’ inaugurated in VIT university, here, on Friday, will take up research on minimizing the loss in producing solar energy with more than ten highly qualified professor leading the team. It may be recalled that the Prime Minister Narendra Modi Government is aiming to produce 20,000 mw of solar power by the year 2022.
The research cell was declared open at the ‘Technological Tower’ of the university by VIT’s founder-chancellor Dr G. Viswanathan along with the vice president of Tata Steels, Jamshedpur, Mr Suresh Kumar. The VIT’s School of Electrical Engineering dean, Dr Partha S. Mallick said that the researchers would be dedicating their work in producing solar power, as the time had come to find an alternate source to supplement conventional energy. He further added that besides the research would aim at minimizing loss in the area of production of solar-energy and also aim at how to achieve efficiency with solar power and energy. The dean added that the students from other college would also join in the research cell.
Following the inaugural function, a workshop on ‘Solar PV Systems - Challenges and Prospects’ was organised in the university in which more than 400 students participated. The VIT university Pro-VC Dr Anand A. Samuel in his address said that for any renewable energy, the key is solar power energy. He asked the students to take seriously the issues of energy efficiency, since it would reduce the loss in the manufacture of power. He underlined that the researches should lead to patents and new products.
In his address at the workshop as the chief guest, Jameshedpur-based Tata Steel’s VP Suresh Kumar asked the students to have a different set of mindset in technology and look into how they could contribute to their country. He also asked the students to make an in-depth study on what was the real problem and how they could save with cost effectively by producing sustainable products, which the industries were looking for. The Workshop event coordinator, Dr Raja sekar gave the vote of thanks.