VIT University signs 10 MoUs for biosciences research

Fourth edition of VIT Bio-Summit held at varsity
Vellore: The ‘Cognizant Healthcare (CH)’ has been aiming to bring a vast change in the quality of life in the field of healthcare through its various researches, as the present healthcare system has not been reaching 60 per cent of the population, said CH chief technical officer T.S. Sarangarajan.
Sarangarajan who was the guest of honour at the fourth edition of the VIT Bio-Summit being held for two days at VIT university here, said with the available data based on various DNAs of the patients, one could quickly identify the disease and find proper healthcare to be given, by reducing the ‘life-cycle’ of taking medicines over a longer period.
He added by doing so, the quality of life would be increased amid significant changes taking place in the field of healthcare. Mr Sarangarajan said that the Cognizant had been interested in data storage, finding new medical equipment and software.
He said a lot of industries were interested to invest and as part of it, the company had entered into a MoU with VIT university.
The VIT university chancellor Dr G. Viswanathan in his presidential address said that apart from the university’s teaching and learning process, it had taken active role in the ‘interaction’ of its students with various industries.
He added that the university had entered into MoUs with 10 leading industries on Wednesday for joint research activities in the area of bioscience.
With this the university had entered into MoU with 50 companies for making research-oriented and making innovations. The chancellor said, “our university is judged by the quality of students we produce” pointing out that it had been placed in the third in ‘Scopus Index Publication’ for its research papers.
Earlier, on behalf of VIT university, Dr Viswanathan and the respective CEOs’ of the 10 industries exchanged the agreement files relating to the MoUs.
Dr R.S. Ramaswamy, director general, Central Council for Research in Siddha, ministry of Ayush, who was the guest of honour, in his address said that there was a lot of scope for students to make researches in the field of Siddha.
He added that after forming a separate ministry for Ayush and with its R&D expansion, Siddha medicine was becoming popular. He said in VIT, researches had been carried out in Derfi churanam and sundaivatral churanam. He pointed out that Kavajura Kudineer of Siddha had the ability to cure swine flu.
‘Omni Active Health Technologies’, managing director, Dr Sanjaya Mariwala who was the chief-guest of the function, said the students should work expecting the changes that would come in industries, in future. Former director of Forensic Science Dr P. Chandra Sekaran felicitated the occasion. The SBST dean Dr C. Ramalingam welcomed the gatherings, while Dr K. Ramanathan, organising secretary of the bio-summit, proposed the vote-of-thanks.