Management Aptitude Test won't get MBA admission

James panel says only CAT, CMAT, KMAT has validity; private colleges object
KOCHI: Students aspiring for MBA admission in the state will not have the option of writing Management Aptitude Test (MAT) conducted by the All-India Management Association (AIMA) from next year.
The head of the Professional Admission Supervisory Committee Justice J.M. James told Deccan Chronicle on Thursday that the committee has taken a decision not to allow it.
He said that MBA admission in the state would be allowed on the basis of either CAT conducted by the IIMs, CMAT conducted by the AICTE or KMAT conducted by the Justice James committee.
This year the committee prevented MBA admission through the ASMIK-MAT conducted by the Association of Self-Financing Management Institutes in Kerala (ASMIK).
Following the decision, many of the poorly performing management institutes resorted to admitting students through MAT conducted by AIMA.
“We are serious about bringing quality in the MBA education in the state. Quality entrances are needed for that. KMAT is coming up to the level of CAT. Just as in the case of IIMs taking turns to conduct CAT, the universities in the state take turns to conduct KMAT. This year Calicut University conducted KMAT while MG University will conduct it in
January,” Justice James said.
This being its first year, the process of KMAT could be completed on September 30 and classes started on October 1. “We have already started the process for next year and the classes will be started early on June 1,” he said.
However, ASMIK president and head of SCMS Group of Institutions G.P.C. Nayar said that none of the 2300 students who appeared for the KMAT did take admission in any of the SF institutions running MBA.
“Students wrote MAT conducted by AIMA and the admissions were done through it and classes were started in July,” he said. This was rebutted by Justice James and Dr K.P. Muraleedharan, Dean of the Management Department of the Calicut University which conducted KMAT.
“A total of 1100 students who appeared for KMAT took admission for MBA in colleges under Calicut University alone,” said Dr Muraleedharan.
With the new stand taken by the Justice James committee, a showdown is set to take place between ASMIK and the committee which can drag on to the court.