Gandhigiri of a rare kind: 5,000 Bengaluru students to dress-up as Mahatma Gandhi

5,000 students to dress-up as Mahatma Gandhi

BENGALURU: This Gandhi Jayanthi the city is aiming to find a mention in the Guinness Book of World Records for hosting the largest congregation of children dressed as Mahatma Gandhi.

About 5,000 students from five different schools in city will gather at Kanteerava stadium on the occasion of 146th birth anniversary of the Father of the Nation. Sumithra Gandhi Kulkarani, grand daughter of Mahatma Gandhi, is expected to attend.

The children have been provided with a dhoti, a wig, spectacles and a stick. The organisers hope that on Friday they would find a place in the record books.

“So far there have been no records over congregation of people dressed as Mahatma in such large numbers. We have been working on the idea for some time,” said a senior management official from Venkat International Public School in Rajajinagar, which is organising the event.

In addition, children from two branches of St Ann’s High School, Venus International School and St Ann’s Pre-University College are expected to participate.

For the last six months, Venkat International School was running an online campaign with posters carrying messages of Mahatma. “We also had a countdown of days on these posters to raise awareness among people about the event,” a faculty member said.