National Board of Accreditation revises norms for accreditation

The NBA has released a draft version of SAR to be submitted to it as part of accreditation

Hyderabad: Investigations into complex engineering problems and solutions developed for society will carry weightage in the new accreditation methodology developed by the National Board of Accreditation (NBA).

The NBA has developed a new format of Self Assessment Report (SAR) which has to be filled up and submitted by engineering colleges to the NBA as part of the accreditation process.

The NBA has already announced that accreditation will be based on outcomes of institutions rather than just faculty and infrastructural facilities made available to students.

The NBA has released a draft version of SAR to be submitted to it as part of accreditation. Out of the 1,000 marks for each institute, a maximum of 375 is allocated for course and program outcomes and faculty contributions.

For course and program outcomes, the institution will be assessed on the basis of the ability of students to solve complex engineering problems, assess current societal issues and offer solutions to them, be ethical and communicate effectively.

These will also be partly evaluated through the student projects carried out by students in the final year of engineering.

The institution will also be evaluated on the basis of multi-dimensional teaching rather than just university prescribed syllabus based learning.

For instance, real life examples, field based learning processes carry good weightage. Marks scored by students will also carry weightage.

Institutions with low scoring students are not likely to be accredited by the NBA. Not just that, having a higher proportion of passed out students taking the entrepreneurial plunge is likely to fetch more marks for institutions in the assessment.

Apart from that, faculty's papers published in reputed journals and patents recorded carry good weightage in the accreditation process.