VIT girl innovator wins global award

Research student gets $25,000 reward
Vellore: For Devlina Das, a CSIR senior research fellow at VIT University, it was a moment of joy and celebration to win the second prize at the 2015 RELX Group Environmental Challenge for her project converting sea water into potable one using a unique method powered by solar energy.
Finishing as runner-up, Devlina received $25,000 and a year’s free access to Science Direct, a database that includes 3.67 lakh articles on environmental science.
Terming the present water purification scenario in the country as the inspiration for her project, the young innovator said that the current scenario is such that ground and fresh water resources are getting depleted day by day and requires an immediate move to replenish them. This made her come up with the project—SALINO.
“My product will work in five unit operations, each step will be an innovation combined with a technology, besides using solar power as well. The product can be deployed for large scale
installations only. SALINO targets community and can supply drinking water to at least 50 homes through a pipeline system,” an elated Devlina said.
She dedicates the recognition to VIT for providing her all facilities that she wanted to develop the project. Dr Nilanjana Mitra, Devlina’s mother who at present works as senior professor at VIT, has been her guiding force.
Appreciating the student-innovator, VIT founder-chancellor Dr G. Viswanathan said that given the need for water preservation and utilisation, VIT is proud as their student understood the necessity for such innovation.