Bhopal: Madhya Pradesh CM Shivraj Singh Chouhan on Saturday said that a judicial inquiry will be ordered into the gas cylinder blast at Jhabua, which has killed at least 89 people and injured 100 so far.
"This is a serious incident. We have decided to conduct (sic) a judicial inquiry into this incident", said Chouhan.
"It is a saddening incident. Bodies of 76 people have been identified. 50 injured are being treated in various hospitals," he added. Chouhan also stated that rescue work in the area was now complete.
The Madhya Pradesh Government had earlier ordered an investigation into the gas explosion, which took place at a restaurant in Jhabua district early this morning.
Talking to the media, Madhya Pradesh Home Minister Babu Lal Gaur had said that a probe has been ordered into the incident. "The announcement of financial assistance will be made once the investigation is complete," he said.
The blast occurred at 8:30 am, completely destroying at least two buildings-- one in which explosive material for digging wells was stored and an adjacent restaurant, and damaging several houses, officials said.
"89 people have been killed in the explosion," Block Medical Officer Urmila Choyal told PTI. The explosion took place in the building of Rajendra Kasawa who has a licence to use explosive material for digging wells in rocky areas....